Vanity search

             For this weeks assignment we were asked to do a vanity search. Which just starts with entering your name in quotes in the google search bar. I was kind of amazed at what I found. The first thing that pops up is my LinkedIn account that I created about 5 years ago and have not really done anything with for at least a year. The next link that pops up is a link to my current job’s website along with my contact information.  The next link is a link to a website called MyLife. Which states my birthday and every city that I have lived in over the last ten years along with the addresses.  Also with only giving them a name and email address you can learn any public record that I have ever had. After that there is the standard Facebook, Twitter and other social media accounts that I own.  If you go to any one of those social media accounts you will find that I have not updated things for quite sometime. Even longer ago than my LinkedIn account.  The search ends with a few pictures of me and my family that again are at least a year old. 
             Overall this experience of doing this vanity search was just about what I expected except for the website MyLife.com.  This website was the third link in my vanity search and it had may more information that I ever thought that I had put on the web.  There was information about where I lived and that information even came with the addresses that I lived at.  There were also names of my neighbors that I did even know where my neighbors yet there were other names that I know are my neighbors so it is likely to assume that those other names are the other neighbor that I don't know yet.  This website also boiled all the information they had on me down to a reputation score from 0 to 5.  I apparently got a score of 4.1.  Which they say is good.  So I don't know what to think about this website but other than that I have a pretty small digital footprint.  I have lived my life in the last few years trying not to have much of a digital footprint.  So I was not surprised to find very little about myself other than information that is pretty old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is social bookmarking?

Motor with sonar

Arduino Analog input for a digital output